Written by National Council on Aging
Many falls are preventable. Stay safe with these tips!
1. Find a good balance and exercise program. Look to build balance, strength, and flexibility. The Pasadena Senior Center can help you find a program you like. Take a friend.
2. Talk to your health care provider. Ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Share your history of recent falls.
3. Regularly review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist. Make sure side effects aren’t increasing your risk of falling. Take medications only as prescribed.
4. Get your vision and hearing checked annually and update your eyeglasses. Your eyes and ears are key to keeping you on your feet.
5. Keep your home safe. Remove tripping hazards, increase lighting, make stairs safe, and install grab bars in key areas.
6. Talk to your family members. Enlist their support in taking simple steps to stay safe. Falls are not just a seniors’ issue.
To learn more, visit ncoa.org/FallsPrevention.